Yamaha has decided to run its proposed single model YZF-R3 Cup.
The race series will be presented by Yamaha Motor Finance and Insurance and run over five rounds throughout the year.
Four rounds will be run in conjunction with the Australian Superbike Championship, and one with the Victorian Road Racing Championships at Phillip Island.
Yamaha proposed the race series last year as a way of attracting new riders to road racing.
YMA General Manager and Director, Steven Cotterell, says “the intention is to introduce new riders to the sport and so help build a more solid future for Australian road racing”.
Whilst “A” grade riders, internationals, former champions and VIPs will be welcome to compete, they will not be eligible for prizes.
The series will be overseen by Motorcycling Australia and the competition rules are currently being finalised. They will be based on the existing over 300 production class rules.
Only minimal modifications will be allowed to the stock machine in order to keep costs down.
Yamaha Australia will also subsidise the cost of the race kitted bikes to assist riders looking for a low cost introduction to road racing.
For $7,900 Yamaha will supply a YZF-R3 in road trim with the addition of a full race kit, giving the option to return the bike to road going form if desired.
The comprehensive race kit was developed with the help of the Australian based Yamaha Racing Development team and consists of:
- – Fairing kit including front fender and tank cover.
- – Akrapovic full racing exhaust system with titanium muffler.
- – Racing rear sets with multiple adjustments.
- – Handlebar lowering kit.
- – Gearing set – 1 front, 2 rear.
- – MUPO suspension kit – complete rear shock absorber with adjustable preload, ride height and rebound damping. Front fork kit with springs, spacers and shim stack.
- – Graphics kit with all series and bonus sponsors logos supplied.
- – R+G protection kit including crash knobs, engine case covers, rear stand pickups, chain guard, radiator protector.
- – R+G muffler mounting bracket.
- – AIS pollution system block off plate.
- – Yamalube Service kit – 4 litres of synthetic engine oil and engine oil filter.
- – Oxford rear race stand.
- – CD with parts book, service manual, kit fitment manual, etc.
To make it even easier, the package may be financed through Yamaha Motor Finance.
Repayments on the $7,900 package amount over a 12 month term would be approximately $168 per week or $88 over a 24 month term.
Application forms are available online at www.yamaha-motor.com.au