April 19, 2024

Ride Report: One Man’s Journey From Tweed Heads To Adelaide

The road into Broken Hill
John Presser recently rode from Tweed Heads to Adelaide and back - this is his story.

In the first part of his ride report on a road trip from Tweed Heads to Adelaide and back, John realises the Bureau of Meteorology is always right, isn’t it?

Submitted by: John Presser

The trip that didn’t want me…

It all started a few weeks before when my plans fell through for another project, I then decided to take a road trip to Adelaide to visit my sister and check out a couple of wineries.

Calls were made and the weather was confirmed as dry and warm – well that’s it I’m off.

Yamaha FJR 1300
The Yamaha FJR 1300

Day 1

After seeing the family off to their respective work and schools it’s time to hit the road.

I’d done this trip a number of times over the last 18 months and according to the BOM (Bureau of Meteorology) – all clear. Well so it seemed!!

Whilst sitting at Casino for the morning coffee I got talking to another motorcyclist heading north.

He said that he had left Tamworth that morning, was bitterly cold and had heard of rain a little further south – yeah right, the BOM don’t lie!

It was not long after hitting Tamworth that the rain started (how bad can it get, its only day 1) and lasted all the way to Muswellbrook.

Day 1 done, time to dry out and confirm tomorrows riding itinerary.

Day 2

Looking forward to today’s ride – albeit a short day.

First I met up with a good friend, Jeremy Brew and a couple of his mates at Pokolbin for the first coffee of the day. It was brisk to start with but at least the sun was out.

Leaving Muswellbrook and heading to the Putty Road it was all sunshine.
Leaving Muswellbrook and heading to the Putty Road it was all sunshine.

The coffee was good and the conversation was invigorating. We then mounted up and headed down to the Grey Gum Café on the Putty Road.

The road and traffic were kind and we were enjoying the twisting roads. Another coffee, mmmmmm.

Having to say my goodbyes, I was off to Picton in NSW for lunch with more friends Rob Marnov, John Bevan and his lovely wife.

The weather was still holding up at this stage – by now you see where this is going I’m sure.

After lunch I meandered down the road to Moss Vale to have the distinction of being the very first guest at the Riley household, some very close friends.

After arriving to the smiling faces I was shown around the house, only to my surprise there was not much furniture!

Paul then said that they had only moved in that morning – WOW, privileged.

Good coffee and great conversation for the rest of the evening, thanks again Paul and Di.

Day 3

After leaving the Riley ranch I must admit it was a bit brisk to start with, but that’s what heated grips and thermals are for.

Somewhere in Mittagong ...
Somewhere in Mittagong …

I followed Paul’s directions for the back roads to Queanbeyan, hopefully to meet up with a workmate. No joy I’m afraid, as he was working.

Time to push on …. and then it started.

Taking note of the temperature gauge on the bike it started to fall slightly, through to Cooma, now it’s really starting to cool down, and then onto Bombala. Down the Monaro Hwy to Lakes Entrance was the idea!

At the Victorian border
At the Victorian border

Well, travelling over the Great Dividing Range I noticed some sheep and horses with coats on and the others were standing around an open fire, must be getting cool.

Glancing at the temperature gauge again it had dropped to 6°, then 5°, then 4° where it stayed until I hit the Victorian border and it got even colder.

Whilst travelling through the Snowy region I originally thought it was starting to rain and then realised – “NO that’s sleet” and understood why the Police were laughing at me from inside their heated patrol cars.

I hit Orbost for a coffee – no stripping off clothes here due to the warm coastal weather OH NO!!

Found a nice place in Lakes Entrance to warm up and a good sleep.

Was now starting to wish had some else on the trip to share it.

Be sure to come back for the second part of John’s ride report in a few days.